Click here to see the completed room with all the details and sources!
It’s week 2 of the One Room Challenge and I made a lot of progress this week! I actually thought I was right on track to finish this space in two weeks instead of six, but that dream is gone. I’ve never done a One Room Challenge without its challenges (maybe that’s why it’s called the One Room “Challenge”) and this guest bath is no different. (post contains affiliate links, see disclosure)
Read all about the One Room Challenge here!
I started painting right away because I had to see how my plans for a black ceiling were going to work out. I’m glad I did it! I’m obsessed and love it. The darker color gives so much depth to the room and makes it appear even taller. I also added some 1×2’s as simple molding to separate the wall and ceiling paint colors. Our walls and ceilings are heavily textured, so it was almost impossible to paint perfectly straight between the two colors. There is one more coat of paint to add but I will wait until the room is almost finished.
I also began tiling the floors this week but made the biggest rookie mistake EVER – assuming I had enough tile and as I started tiling, I realized I didn’t have enough. I had enough full pieces for the main section of the floor, but not enough for all the smaller cuts around the vanity and walls. Luckily, I was able to find the same tile on Amazon and it will be here later this week. It also cost me an extra $98 and I was trying to stick with my $500 budget.
Also, when Joe and I removed the toilet to start tiling the floor we didn’t realize our toilet flange was broken – a toilet flange connects the bottom of the toilet to the drain pipe. When we re-installed the toilet, it kept moving around and rocking back and forth no matter how much we tightened the bolts. It was because the flange was broken and no longer connected to the drain. We called out a plumber to fix it and luckily he came the same day and said it was an easy fix. He said it is a common issue that happens because when builders install the toilets, they usually tighten it too much and they snap. However, it’s never an issue until your toilet is removed. I’m glad it was an easy fix, but it was another $100 I wasn’t planning to spend.
The new vanity light (spray painted black) was also installed and the old builder-grade version was removed. Because the light was moved to a new location, I did have an electrician come install it for us. I’m pretty confident in my DIY skills, but not when it comes to electrical or plumbing. Later this week, I will also install the new mirror, shower curtain, and update our existing towel hooks. Here’s an update on my to-do list –
TO DO LIST
- install tile floor
- update baseboards
- update door trim
paint walls paint ceiling
- update and paint vanity
- change vanity hardware
- new vanity top & sink
- install new sink faucet
remove old vanity light install new vanity light in a new location
- new mirror
- new shower curtain & rod
- install new window shade
Be sure to check out what the other One Room Challengers are doing to their spaces!
Angela Nickerson says
I love the tile! So glad you found more of it! This bathroom is going to be so lovely!