Create your own DIY paper mache bowl with supplies you probably have around the house! Paper mache bowls have been super popular lately in home decor shops and Etsy. And they are beautiful and so unique. I thought they would be perfect for my built-in shelves, so I made my own! (post contains affiliate links, see disclosure)
DIY PAPER MACHE BOWL
- glass or ceramic bowl, pick a shape and size you love
- aluminum foil
- old magazine
- mod podge, satin finish
- spray paint, I used the color French Cream
- craft paint, I used this brand in the color Suede and Golden Brown
- small paintbrushes
- Wrap the bottom of the bowl and top edges in aluminum foil, but leave the inside open. Press down around the edges and shape of the bowl, so that the aluminum foil will take shape. Don’t worry about the wrinkles.
- With pages from an old magazine torn into 2-3 inch square pieces, use the Mod Podge and a paintbrush to glue them to the aluminum foil. Do this a few times to create a couple of layers.
- Once it dries for an hour or so, unwrap the foil at the top and carefully pull out the bowl. Then reshape the aluminum foil and add torn paper and glue to start creating the inside of the bowl. And then let it dry overnight.
- Next, spray paint the bowl to cover up a lot of the images and colors from the magazine pages. Don’t worry about it being perfect.
- Then, use the craft paint to paint the bowl and add the darker color for some depth and dimension. It also gives it a little bit of an aged look. Let it dry and you’re done!
I have seen these bowls online ranging from $35 to $200 and they come in many different shapes and sizes. I’m also sure they aren’t made of aluminum foil, haha. However, for my shelves these DIY paper mache bowls are perfect and they look so cool. So for the cost of paint and household items, I was able to make my own and get a little creative!
But if you aren’t up for a DIY, I’ve linked a few of my favorites below!